Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Elusive Fuji

Besides perhaps sushi and Hello Kitty, Mt. Fuji is one of the most recognizable symbols of Japan. I have spent over 15 months total in Japan, including many train rides, long weekends and observation towers from where you can "see Fuji on a clear day". I have never seen Fuji. So when Temple organized a trip for us to go to Hakone, a small town right at the base of Fuji, I was pumped. I'll just jump right to the punchline and tell you that I did not see Mt. Fuji. But the weekend was still a great success. You know it is going to be a good weekend when your Japanese tourguide encourages you to drink the local Hakone beer at 11am and then the bus turns into an impromptu karaoke bar.

We meet up at school at 9am and then headed for Hakone. After some lunch, we arrived at Hakone Open Air Museum. It was basically an adult playground. Tons of interesting sculptures and things to see.
Me in front of the fountain at the entrance
Yemi, Chase, Me and Jenni jumping on the egg shaped trampoline sculpture.
Cami, Yemi, Me and Jenni in front of Chia Head
Modern Art Jungle gym?
Lots of sculptures
An impromptu pas de chat in front of the ballerina sculpture
Life imitating Art
And there was a foot onsen!
View from the top
This tower made you feel like you were inside an enormous votive holder
Next we headed to Owakudani National Park. We took a gondola ride to the top.


We also had the most amazing tourguide ever, named Taka. Here he is seraneding Jenni.
Delicious food at the hotel
Hotel dinner party
On Sunday, we went to Odawara Castle. And on the castle grounds, there is a random elephant.
The castle is lovely on the outside. Jenni, Lacie, Robert and I, however, never made it to the inside because we distracted by an opportunity to dress up as samurai and geisha.
Lacie, Robert, Me and Jenni
Jenni, Lacie and I in normal form in front of the castle
Next we headed to Sajijo Temple.

Overall, a lovely and fun weekend!

No comments: