Sunday, February 04, 2007

Izakaya

I am sorry to say that I have no pictures to go along with this story. Really, it was a Japan great one. Last night I went out with my friend, Dan, to a few izakaya bars to practice Japanese and, of course, have a few beers. We went to an izakaya next to Dan's apartment where he often goes and as soon as he openned the door everyone in the very small place (it was pretty full with 8 people in it) yells out "DAN!!!!!". It was a happy welcome. Though it was only about 9 pm, everyone in the place was drunk. It was so so funny to see all of these Japanese couples my father's age sucking back beer and shouting out every few minutes, "I am drunk! We are drunk!" (in Japanese, of course). They were so funny and one of the men (the drunkest of the bunch) was having a jolly old time and even knocked over his wife's drink in a particularly wild flailing of his arms. His wife kept on asking me my name and trying to pronounce it correctly (which for Japanese people is nearly impossible with all the L and X in Alexis). Anyway, the evening was highly entertaining, perhaps a top 5 funniest moments in Japan.

1 comment:

moonrat said...

btw the thing about the alarm clock in the refrigerator--priceless.