Saturday, June 27, 2009

What is the most buoyant city in Ireland?

CORK! And that is where we were off to last weekend. Katie and I had heard so much about Ireland's "Rebel City" slash "Real Capital" that we had to check it out. I also heard that they had iced coffee there (which Galway does not have) so I am not going to lie- that was a definite draw for me. On Saturday morning, our coworker, Eilionoir, showed us around the city and took us to all of the good places- the chocolate shop, the coffee shop and gave us recommendations on places that we had to go like the chip shop. In the afternoon, we took a double decker tour of Cork (how touristy!) to learn about the city sights. It was such a lovely day and we were enjoying sitting in the fresh air and sunshine so much that we stayed on the bus for two rotations. That evening we went to the famous chip shop for delicious fish and chips and then out to experience Cork's night life.
St. Fin Barre's Cathedral
Katie and Eilionoir at University College Cork
Katie and the famous (and delicious and enormous) fish and chips
Me on one of Cork's thirty bridges

On Sunday, we hopped on a bus to Blarney Castle. Legend has it that if you kiss the large stone at the top of the castle, you will have the gift of gab and eloquence- important skills for future lawyers!!
I kissed the stone.... as if I didn't talk enough already!
The line to kiss the stone
Blarney Castle
The grounds around the Castle were lovely
Me with the Castle in the background
Waiting for the bus back to Galway, one last iced coffee for the road!

No comments: