Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patty's Day!

Fiona is in fact one of the only Irish people in Kanazawa.Marie, Jess and me- you will notice the shamrock garland crown. I have to thank Dad and Cindy for sending me that. At first I had no idea what to do with it but on a whim I brought it with me to the party and by the end of the night half of the place had on these crowns. It was fabulous!
Jane, Phill and me

Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day! Japan has borrowed many Western holidays and made them their own- people here are all over Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day. I expected St. P's Day not to be any different. On Friday I wore a green shamrock necklace to school (thank you for sending that to me, Dad and Cindy) and I assumed that people knew why I was wearing it. Well, apparently no Japanese people have even heard of St. Patrick's Day so I spent a few minutes in each class talking about it.

Last night, the foreigner bar had a St. Patrick's Day party and all of the foreigners of KZ were out in full force wearing green and making merry. It always seems pretty funny to go to these huge gatherings of foreigners but the parties are always fun nonetheless!




No comments: