Friday, January 12, 2007

I love Japan

You know how when you were in high school and you were thinking about doing a bad thing but always decided "Well hey, they cannot give us ALL detention!". [This did not happen to me, for the record. I was a good kid.] Well, apparently this statement does not ring true in Japan. All of the first year students at Nisui were supposed to hand in all of their Winter vacation homework at the beginning of this week and apparently if they failed to do so, they are given detention. The teacher who sits across from me was exasperated this afternoon as having to babysit the students in detention. And the kicker is that there are 90 students in detention this afternoon! Out of a class of 360, 25% of them are in detention. Yesterday, he said, over 200 students were in detention! It hardly seems like a reprimand if more than half of your class is in detention with you. That is not a punishment; that is a party.

It seems to me that either the school has unrealistic expectations of their students or the students are lazy. Either way, it hardly seems effective to throw them all a party for not doing what they were supposed to!

2 comments:

moonrat said...

You were a good kid, eh? Is that the party line these days?!? Just WAIT til *I* get to the tabloids!

By the way thank you for posting all over my blog with all your thoughtful comments. It totally made my day!!
xxxxxxxxx!

Nicole said...

hehehe...I always figured that too...like I only did bad things when everyone else was doing them too...worked out for me! kind of interesting that they do actually stick with the punishment and it still doesn't work....