Monday, May 11, 2009

The Elusive Mito

On the last day of our trip, we woke up early to have breakfast at our favorite, Ibuki Restaurant, and then get on the road, finally bound for Mito.... again.... I will cut to the punchline as I know you are all waiting with bated breath. We did NOT make it to Mito. I will probably never know whether Mito's garden is one of the nicest in Japan. It was just not in the cards for us. However, we did find some fun stuff along the way so not all was lost.

After taking some daytime photos at our favorite spot, we hit the road. We continued to take the back roads instead of the highway and ended up coming across a lovely little lighthouse. There was a little memorial to a Japanese singer who had written a song about the area. When you got close to the statute, the song began to play. So, naturally, John decided this would be the perfect time for an impromptu dance lesson. Our rumba-ing inspired some of the other Japanese people in the area to shake a leg a little and let the music fill them.

Heart shaped eggs, buttery toast, coffee and a seaside view

All of us

Shrine on the backside of the rock

Tori, Rock and Bridge

Rocks
Lighthouse

David captures us dancing when he climbs up to the lighthouse.
What a great trip, what great friends!
Along the way, we wrote a lot of poems together but some of my favorites are from the day that we returned to Tokyo and sent each other text messages while John and I were at work, Vicki was waiting for her flight back to the US and David was helping Vicki.
This one is by David:
Tokyo dreams
Moonless nights spent contemplating changes
No answers forthcoming
I looked everywhere else to find that even without some place to return home
I was welcome in the hearts of friends all around the globe.

No comments: