Friday, November 04, 2011

"We are so lucky we are interesting people. There are so many boring people!"

After a jam-packed day in Hanoi, we awayed to Halong Bay. Our tripadvisor-picked Black Pearl Junk Boat awaited us for our 2 night, 3 day "romantic" cruise. And so we loaded onto a bus and away we went. However, shockingly, upon arrival in Halong Bay we were told that the Black Pearl was unavailable so we would be joining a different tour. Baited and switched! I should have not only asked if this was the bus for the Black Pearl tour but also if we would be getting ONTO the Black Pearl. Oh Vietnam, you are a sneaky one. We were skeptical at first. But our only choice was get on the boat.... or don't..... and I really hate buses so we joined up with the patrons of the Heritage Junk: Jeanie and Clayton, a lovely Hawaiian couple, Mark and Alex, an interesting pair of 30-something Canadians who seemed both annoyed, amused and amazed by Juliet and me and a German couple and a Vietnamese couple that we never spoke to (oops!).

And the Halong Bay cruise was LOVELY. Halong Bay is really breathtaking and we had a great time just watching the scenery go back, chatting with each other and chatting with the other guests. Jeannie gave us some great recommendations (she is a tripadvisor fan too) including the hotel we stayed at in Hue which was fabulous. But alas, we were all separated after Day 1 because we were on a different tour and had to go to the Sunflower hotel on Cat Ba Island for night 2 while our new friends went elsewhere. No worries, we made new friends, including some Danish, Finnish and Switzerlandian (is that a word? **Ed. note: I have since remembered that the word is Suisse! Or Swiss. Ugg. I am not sure again.) people. But then we got to lunch on Day 2 on Cat Ba Island and a booming voice came from our tour guide (who was really not our tour guide apparently, just some fake tourguide who was babysitting us on behalf of another tourguide that we never met), "Ms. Juliet and Ms. Jennifer must sit alone at this table." Again sequestered and left with only each other to talk to. Luckily we are interesting people. There are so many boring people (as Juliet later pointed out). On Cat Ba Island we swam and we watched monkeys and we drank a lot of coffee. On the morning of Day 3, we boated back to the Halong Bay port and went to lunch where we were allowed to eat with the group. Then we all proceeded to the bus to take us back to Hanoi.... except when I say "we all" I mean "we" like "they" because we stayed behind and waited for another bus with a new set of people. By this time we had become fairly adept at chatting with strangers, explaining our professions without getting glassy stares (it ain't easy being a lawyer and a book editor when you are talking about the dork scale) and defending the American people (not American politics though- that is too big a fish to fry so I took the stance that we should all just blame Texas. sorry Matt.). On this particular bus we chatted with some ladies from New Zealand who described the vistas at Halong Bay as mediocre scenery compared to their country. Juliet and I stared at them in disbelief and I felt very lucky that I am not that jaded and that I realize that a bathing suit sarong as a dress belongs on the beach. I am sorry. That was mean. But it is true.

Halong Bay was so amazing.

Panoramo
Not thrilled about the bait and switch
Halong Bay

Sunset over Halong Bay
We really were made to sit by ourselves.
Aren't we cute?

Caves
View of the bay from the caves

You sure do meet some characters. This Danish gentleman went from Mountain Man to clean shaven 23 year old in about 30 seconds. This look matched his t-shirt better.
Goodbye Bus!

1 comment:

moonrat said...

ahhhhhhh hahahaha i really enjoyed this recap.