Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Work

I am in the middle of my fourth week at the New York Supreme Court. I am interning with a judge in the commercial division. There are 11 of us interns and we observe court for about half of the time and write memos about the various cases that have come up the other half of the time. I am really enjoying the work so far. It is interesting to work with the other 10 interns since they all go to the New York law schools and all of those programs are very different from Northeastern's program. Working in the commercial division has its positives and negatives. The cases are big and high profile almost always involving a company that I know (AIG, Louis Vuitton, Christy's, etc). They always involve large sums of money which can be impressive in many ways- both because the amounts are sometimes more than I will ever see in a lifetime and also because the judge is always encouraging parties to settle when the amount is less than 200K or so. ("Come on guys! It's only $180,000!") I have also had the opportunity to sit in on some other court proceedings. Today I took a little field trip to the Bronx Family Court to observe a child custody case.

Me in front of the Supreme Court (I wear a suit to work though!)

No comments: