Travel changes you.
There is no way around it. New cultures, new sights, new environments, new food, new people. It isn't really any different than any new experience but living abroad for an extended person of time- whatever that may be- magnifies the emotions and speeds up the process of discovery. I love to travel. But more than that, I love to live. When I go to a new place, I want to find a favorite coffee shop, see the same shopkeepers until we wave as I pass by and visit enough sights of everyday life that I feel like I have some feeling about the spirit of the place. That is hard to figure out on a one week vacation.
And I feel so lucky to have friends and family who support my crazy notions. When I told Matt jokingly that I wanted to go to Laos, he immediately said, "Go for it!" There are not a lot of boyfriends that would encourage their girlfriend to travel to the other side of the globe. When I told my Dad of my plans, and after getting over the initial shock, he said, "Great! Then we will visit you!" My friends have also been equally supportive- after I complained about not being able to find post-it notes here, Caroline sent me some from Japan. I win the prize for having had the most people visit in a six month time period, for sure- Dan & Kana were here in August, Lacie was here in September, Juliet will be here in 2 weeks and my Dad and Cindy will be here in 3 weeks. I have also relied on the support of friends and family who have sent me emails, facebook messages, and gchats. All of this makes me realize how lucky I am to have the people that I have in my life. And it also makes it that much easier to go back home. I cannot wait to meet Jane and Zach's new baby, greet Kerry & Blake, Elizabeth & Brad and Louise & John as newly wedded couples, see Shannon and David's new condo, get back to Sextet reunions, NYUDC with Leah and Louise, Indian buffet with Matty P. Leaving a place has always been bittersweet for me- I have always been excited to go home and also sad to leave. Sometimes is different this time though. My experience in Laos has been challenging, inspiring and I have learned so much. But this time, I cannot wait to get back to the people that encouraged me and supported me. I miss them too much. They are the most important part of life. Travel changes you.
And I miss Dunkin.
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
awww. a little introspective post today. that is sweet.
less introspectively, FIVE MORE DAYS!
Post a Comment